domingo, 23 de noviembre de 2008

Things I Miss and Things I Love

Things I miss from home and things that challenge me here often go hand-in-hand.

To just ramble... I really (REALLY) miss blue skies. I also miss clean, fresh air. I miss what that blue sky, and clean and fresh air does for my lungs, my skin and my attitude. I miss clean streets and I cringe seeing people toss trash out of their cars and the bus as if Mother Nature is their trashcan. I miss vegetables and having more energy. I get frustrated when the first bus passes me in the morning and just mad when the fourth does. I miss being invisible. I miss being able to wear sweatshirts and I miss my wardrobe (who would've thought). I miss some aspects of my old concept of time, and not being cut in lines. I miss drinking water out of the tap. I get extremely frustrated at my agency every morning, which makes me miss structure, discipline and respect. I miss having control and having some power. I miss not being able to communicate exactly how I want. I get frustrated thinking about the politics here, and my own country, although I miss the steps we've made. I miss thinking that I understood a good amount.

and then there are the things that I love...

I love saying that I live in Ecuador. I love catching the bus and riding it - probably one of the most successful feelings ever. I love when my host parents play loud bachata or reggaetone music in the house. I love feeling more comfortable walking down the street and people not staring at me as much (or me not noticing). I love swimming in the pool at the university, sitting on the many beaches in Ecuador and feeling the warm air whip my hair in my face on the bus. I can't believe that I can communicate in Spanish. I love laughing with my host mom because she thinks it’s crazy that I like green salads, especially with ‘big’ pieces of vegetables. I adore my ceiling fan and often say hello to it when I walk in my room. I smile when people sing along to songs on the radio in public, when little children pass out on their mothers shoulder on the bus, and when I bargain down a taxi ride. I love hanging out with my host sister and her boyfriend, and sometimes his mom and grandma. I love learning and traveling. I love looking at the lights on mountains when traveling at night. I love the terrain of Ecuador and its transportation. I love all of the conversations I've had. I love that my friend and I wrote down 30 questions about Ecuador that we hope to answer by the end of December. I love that I still have about 20% of my experience left. I love the relationship I have with my 80 year old host dad who makes me laugh when he asks me, everyday, if I've gotten a boyfriend yet, or when he helps me with my bug bites and stomach problems, or when he makes a joke that I don't really understand but I don't want to ruin the moment so I smile anyway. I love that my 'loves' outweigh my 'misses,' and that, in the future, I'm pretty sure they're all that I'll remember.

3 comentarios:

Sharon dijo...

We miss YOU and we love YOU! Vegetables shall be yours!

LPG II dijo...

That post made me cry! Even if we are in completely different countries across an ocean, I completely understand your 'misses' and your 'loves.' I think for the most part they are universal of many long term cross cultural experiences...and it's hard sometimes, but so exciting! Enjoy the rest of your time there and happy Thanksgiving!

Hayley dijo...

I don't want to think too hard about what I'm missing at home, because nine months is a long time to miss it, but I'll tell you what I will miss...appreciating Ecuador with you. You sure you don't want to stay another semester?